Monday, August 18, 2008

Civilian Interviewees Disapprove of my boring clothes and lack of makeup



I went to interview one family today who had lost the head of the household in 2001 during an aerial bombardment by the international forces. It was a large house with many different family units living together. It was also strictly segregated between men and women. I first spoke with the men in one room, but was then asked to say hello to the women in the other section of the house. This was not a shy and retiring group of women!! They immediately grabbed me when I walked through the door and sat me down on some cushions. Children became dive-bombing into me (there must have been at least 25 children running around).
I hadn’t been sitting long before my lack of makeup began causing general confusion and dismay. Out came the eyeliners, bright lipsticks and rainbow-bright eyeshadows. Then my hair was scraped back, my nasty boring scarf tossed to one side…. THEN the women had a great idea that they were going to change me entirely and dress me up in their party clothes. So I was forced to change into a sexy 1001-nights outfit, complete with a beaded head-piece. This was causing great amusement and pleasure amongst everyone in the house – especially when I was pushed into the men’s quarters again (I really wasn’t sure about the dynamics here and was not comfortable at all.. but the women were pretty insistent!) Oh…. The things I do for my job!

(the photos show me before.. and then after my makeover! You can see all the children that were throwing themselves at me in the "before" photo!)

No comments: