Monday, August 11, 2008

Kandahar city - tough security restrictions for internationals




Kandahar is clearly a beautiful city. But I wasn't really able to see any of it.... The security restrictions for internationals working in this city are tough. UN workers, for example, cannot walk in the streets; they cannot buy things from shops; they cannot talk to locals.... this must of course hinder their work. I stayed at the UN compound and we all ate dinner together at 7pm and then... it was bed. I think I'd go crazy living here!!
Of course, if life for international workers is bad, then life for Afghan civilians is far worse... It must be so stressful to life in a city where you're never sure if you'll see your family members return safely back to the house. Suicide attacks are increasing by the week at the moment and there is a definite sense of hopelessness among the civilians I interviewed.

No comments: